Sunday, March 27, 2011

Trips to the grocery store

I do my grocery shopping on Sunday afternoons. I have always shopped alone, because I can finish the task more quickly, and because it's peaceful to shop without kids. But the past few weeks, I've been taking one child with me, alternating between TJ and Sam. They've been very good, and haven't been pestering me to buy too much junk.

I was ready to head out to the store this afternoon, and I told TJ it was his turn and to put his shoes on. He looked a little confused and Sam got very upset. He pointed out that it was HIS turn to go, because TJ got an umbrella last week. I realized Sam was right. I apologized to TJ for the mix up and he commented, "That's okay. I got my umbrella last week." Whew. Crisis averted. Sam and I left for the store. As we left, he said to me, "I want an umbrella today." I am not opposed to Sam having his own umbrella, but I didn't want to make it a habit to buy stuff for the boys every time we are out. I decided not to say anything, but wait and see if he remembered.

Just before we got to Meijer, Sam said, "Mom, some churches have enough money." I thought this was a strange comment. We have not been discussing church finances at home, and I thought it would have been strange if he was discussing this in Sunday School. So I replied with, "Oh really?", just to see where he was going with this. He said, "Yes. Some churches have enough money...for downspouts". Oh! I laughed and agreed that yes, some churches have enough money for downspouts.

Sam was a good shopper, except for one thing. I had heard a report earlier this week regarding the percentage of shopping carts that were found to have fecal matter on them. Blech! I always wipe down my cart before I use it, and today was no exception. Good thing, because at one point, I glanced down at Sam to see him licking the cart! Yuck!!! I sure hope that he was licking a section that I had wiped down thoroughly!

Sam forgot to remind me about the umbrella. We were nearly home when it dawned on him. He informed me that he was 'really upset about this', but calmed down when I promised to get him one at a later date. That's fine, he told me, as long as I make it a blue one. Okie dokie.

No comments: