Saturday, January 15, 2011

Two Extremes

Today is January 15. We are halfway through my least favorite month. So far, this has been a remarkably healthy winter for the boys. The last time I was at the pediatrician's office was for TJ's well-child visit. I think TJ had one brief minor cold, and Sam had a 24 hour stomach bug. That's it. I have thoroughly enjoyed their good health.

But that all changed in 24 hours. Yesterday morning, Sam asked for a Kleenex to wipe his nose. He didn't ask for another one all day, and I never heard him sneeze. But that was apparently my warning sign. Because at 2 a.m. Sam woke up wheezing and in a panic. The more he cried, the harder it was for him to catch his breath. He was absolutely hysterical by the time I ran in there. I can't say that I blame him. I can't imagine being in a deep sleep and then suddenly not be able to breathe. I gave him the strongest kids cough medicine we have, rubbed Vicks on his chest and stayed with him until he was calm. I didn't think either one of us was awake enough to do a breathing treatment, and since he did calm down, I knew he would sleep the rest of the night.

This morning when I changed Nolan's diaper, I noticed his nose was running. Uh oh. I informed Bill we had two sick children. TJ seemed fine. The kids are at that cooped-up-sick-of-winter-so-let's-fight stage, so when TJ decided to go out and play after lunch, I was more than happy to let him go. But when he came in two hours later sneezing non-stop, I realized I had made a mistake. By bedtime, he was the most miserable of the three boys. He fell asleep on Bill's lap (TJ NEVER sits on our laps!) and asked to go to bed early. Sam had a breathing treatment, I gave all 3 boys some cold medicine and TJ some ibuprofen. We prayed, I kissed them good night, and headed for the door. As I pulled it shut behind me, I heard Sam say to TJ, "It's okay, TJ. God will help take care of your cold."

I know we are probably in for a few long days and short nights until the boys are over their colds, but it's those little moments that will keep me going.

No comments: