Sunday, August 1, 2010

Jambalaya

I made jambalaya for dinner tonight. My children will all eat it. They won't all eat chicken nuggets or hot dogs, but they will all eat jambalaya. Weirdos.

The recipe I use calls for Tabasco sauce. We use Frank's, cuz, well, Frank's is the best! I only put a tiny bit in while I am cooking the jambalaya. Bill and I spice up our portions after I dish it up. Tonight, Nolan insisted that he get extra Frank's on his. He ate it all up without a word of complaint.

Sam, my sauce man, looked troubled by the meal. I couldn't figure out what his problem was, but he finally clarified it for me. He announced that there was rice in the jambalaya, therefore, he needed the 'black sauce' on his plate or he wasn't going to be able to eat it. He said black sauce always goes with rice. I knew what he meant and at first I tried ignoring him, but he insisted he needed the 'black sauce'. Eventually, I got out some soy sauce, put it on his jambalaya, and he ate it. You can almost hear people in Louisiana screaming in horror. I just chose not to watch him eat it.

As for TJ, he informed me that it was 'the best meal he never ate.' Silly boy. He ate every bite and seemed quite pleased that I used green pepper and roma tomatoes fresh from our garden to make the meal.

No comments: