Sunday, August 29, 2010

Week in Review

I have to admit, it is getting harder to keep up with this blog, now that I am working 30 hours a week. We will have to see if things get easier (or crazier!) once school starts next week.

TJ will be in first grade. That means he will eat lunch at school every day. I do not have a logical explanation for why, but I detest packing his lunches. It doesn't bother me to feed him at home at lunch time, but I strongly dislike making lunches up the night before. I told him I would appreciate it if he would get hot lunch at least twice a week. He genuinely prefers just a peanut butter and honey sandwich, so this will be a sacrifice for both of us (the two hot lunches a week for him, and me packing three a week). We'll see how it goes.

Here are the funny moments from this past week.

Sam, sitting on the potty, suddenly has an epiphany. "Mom! Clark and I are as big as ourselves!" Long pause. "I mean, I am as big as Clark now!"

TJ was misbehaving at some point during this past week, and Sam was listening to me threaten him. I told TJ to "knock it off, or you are going to spend the better part of the morning in your room." Sam's comment? "Or a really long time." Isn't the better part of the morning a really long time, especially when you are six?

At the boys' request, I made cheeseburgers for dinner Friday night. I didn't have any meat thawed, so I made veggie burgers (those babies cook up in two minutes!) Nolan didn't seem to notice he wasn't eating real meat. Sam spied chopped carrots and onion in the veggie patty, and carefully picked out as much as he could. TJ was the funniest. I asked him what he wanted besides cheese on his burger. He replied, "potatoes and cucumbers." At first I was grossed out, but then I thought about what he was saying. I asked him if he mean TOmatoes and pickles. He agreed that was what he meant. But then he decided no pickles, but he needed lettuce. And then he asked for 'the big round thing like what I had on my burger at Grandma Cindy's.' That really confused me. After a couple minutes of thinking, I pulled out an onion and TJ lit up. "Yes! I want that!" What is really funny is he ate the tomato, lettuce, and onion. Good boy!

On Wednesday night, the boys had a sleepover at my mom's. Sam just loves having sleepovers, and had requested this. It worked out well. I stayed with the boys until bedtime, tucked them in, read them a story, then headed downstairs to exercise. Bill was leaving for Detroit early Thursday morning, so this meant my mom didn't have to come over to our house early to fetch the boys before I left for work. TJ understands the reason for the occasional sleepover, but he does not like them. He prefers to be at home, with his parents, in his own bed. After I went to exercise, TJ got up and was telling my mom he wanted to go home. Then he announced, "I just can't take it anymore!" Well, I came back up, left an extra light on for him and convinced him to go to sleep. He survived.

Tonight at dinner, Bill asked Nolan what color his hair was. Without hesitating, Nolan said, "Dark blue."

No comments: