Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sam's appointments

I apologize for my absence. Life has been really busy lately!

Last Wednesday, TJ and Sam had dental appointments. Immediately afterwards, Sam had his four-year well-child appointment. Both boys did very well at the dentist (although TJ had THREE cavities! I think his baby teeth have got to go! They are costing me a fortune!). The hygienist met with me after their cleanings to review everything with me. She immediately commented on how Sam was 'quite the character.' I smiled, but waited to hear what he had done this time. During his cleaning, he looked up at the hygienist and said "So....what's your situation?" The hygienist didn't know what to make of that. I doubt any other four-year-old has asked her that. She finally said, "Well, I have to work all day", but she wasn't sure if that was what he meant. The hygienist told Dr. Mike what Sam had said. Dr. Mike went right up to Sam and asked, "So, Sam, what's your situation?"

Sam's response? A big smile and "Oh! I'm good!"

After the dentist, we had a little time to kill before we went to the pediatrician. So, we drove through the construction zone on I-196. The boys wanted to check out the progress and drive on the brand-new lanes. They really are easy to entertain!

At Sam's appointment, we got his 4-year stats:
40.5 inches (53rd percentile)
40 pounds exactly (80th percentile...remember when he used to be off the charts??)

Sam entertained Dr. Conner and was quite cooperative during his check-up, with the exception of hopping on one foot. He wouldn't do that for her. Then she slipped out and 3 nurses came in. I hadn't told Sam he was getting shots. I didn't want him to stress or worry about it. I boosted him up on the exam table and helped him lay back. I told him he needed to get a couple pokes, but I knew he would be brave. One nurse held his knees, and I held his hands. The other two nurses administered the shots (2 in one thigh, 3 in the other. 5 pokes!) When the first two shots went in, Sam stiffened up and started yelling, "Stop! Stop! Stop!" By the time the last shot went in, Sam was covering his eyes. He didn't want the nurses to see the two tears that rolled down his cheeks. I felt so bad. He was offended and angry that the nurses did that to him, and that his Mommy didn't stop them. I picked him up and cuddled him until he had himself under control. TJ was fascinated by the entire procedure. I reminded him that it took 5 people to hold him down, and that people several miles away could hear him screaming. Sam was tough and brave in comparison.

So, Sam is ready for school now...except for the ongoing poop issue. He did a big poop on the potty yesterday. But then he filled his pants today. One step forward, two steps back...

No comments: