Friday, August 13, 2010

Nolan's color and clothing issues

Nolan knows his colors. I can't take credit for that. He is a smart kid who picks things up quickly. Blue is his favorite color. Last night we went out for ice cream. I held him up so he could look over the hard serve ice cream and he announced he wanted pink ice cream. He enjoyed every bite of his strawberry ice cream.

Nolan also loves elephants (he calls them "eldephants"). He has a set of 5 onesies with various animals on them. Two of them have elephants on them.

On Wednesday, I went to put Nolan in this shirt:


He got very upset and said, "No! Want BLUE elephants!" (The elephants on the shirt above are all brown). I was confused for a minute, but then I grabbed this shirt:
Nolan said, "Yes! Blue elephants!"

Well, this morning, the blue elephant shirt was in the wash. I had laid out the brown elephant shirt. I actually had forgotten all about Wednesday morning's episode. I was in the bathroom getting ready for work when I heard Nolan sobbing hysterically. I could tell immediately what the problem was (you could hear the words "blue" and "elephant" among the sobs). Bill couldn't understand him, and had no idea why Nolan was being so resistant about getting dressed. I went in Nolan's room, filled Bill in, and then explained to Nolan that the blue elephant shirt was in the wash, and couldn't we please wear the brown elephant shirt today? Nolan thought it over, pulled himself together, and reluctantly agreed to wear the brown elephant shirt.

Sheesh! I thought that by having only boys I would avoid clothing drama like this!

No comments: