Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sam the Brave

Sam has always been a nervous, hesitant child. I've never pushed him to do things he was afraid of, but I have tried to encourage him to try new things. I've worried a little that some day he'd get teased. Well, he has certainly come out of his shell this summer. The boy who only got in the pool once last summer now cheerfully announces he is going to swim whenever he sees TJ getting in the pool. He either floats on a raft or moves around the inside of the pool by hanging on to the edge. What's more is he HAS FUN! He doesn't spend the whole time thinking of his potential demise.

On Sunday, he really shocked me. We were with the Gaikema-Platt family at Jim and Lois' home on Gun Lake. We were last there three years ago. Sam cried quite a bit last time and didn't want anything to do with the water. He didn't even want me in it (granted, he was only two years old). This time was completely different. He loved going on out on the pontoon boat. And when the adults jumped in a rather deep bay to swim, Sam got right in with us. He was slightly nervous and insisted on holding on to either me or Elisabeth, but he had a great time. Didn't shed one tear! Here he is, swimming:


After dinner, Jim took TJ out on the jet ski.


TJ enjoyed it, but Jim said TJ cautioned him several times not to go too fast. Nolan wanted to try it, but I said no. He is so short, I was concerned that he wouldn't be able to straddle the seat properly. I kept picturing him bouncing off and into the water. I told him he could go next time. I didn't expect Sam to want to go, but he informed me he DID want to go and he WAS going to do it. Not only did he do it, he loved it and proved to be more adventurous than his big brother. Jim reported that Sam kept yelling "Faster! Faster!"


I can't tell you how proud I am!

And here's a couple of the boys driving the Power Wheels vehicles at the cottage. Aren't they cute?

No comments: