Sunday, November 21, 2010

More bath time drama

Some of you may remember this post from October 2008: http://barononlyboys.blogspot.com/2008/10/bathtime.html. Yesterday's bath time wasn't quite as bad, but it sure had its fair share of drama.

I bathe Sam and Nolan together. Sam got over his fear of baths about a year ago (his fear began after the episode I referenced above), and thoroughly enjoys playing in the tub with Nolan. I have to watch to make sure they keep the water IN the tub, but they have fun. We either have bubbles or Crayola color tablets. Sam likes the bubbles, Nolan likes the colors. So we alternate to keep the peace. (TJ has declared himself too old for baths and takes nice hot showers instead)

Yesterday was a bubble day. Sam went potty about five minutes before I started prepping for baths. Nolan saw me getting the tub toys out and informed me that he needed to go potty first. That's a little weird, since he never uses the toilet for me. But I humored him. I stripped him down, put him on the toilet and finished getting the water in the tub. Sam undressed and climbed in. Nolan watched him for a minute, then decided he didn't have to go potty after all. So, I moved him to the tub. Five minutes later, Nolan wanted to sit on the potty again. Weird. But I got him out, dried him off, and had him try again. Nothing. I put him back in the tub. Five minutes later, he wanted out again. Argh! This was very unusual behavior for him.

I finally decided to just quickly wash him up and dress him. I didn't think he was brave enough to use the potty for me, but he also did not want to go potty in the tub. Just as I was rinsing his hair, Sam starts shrieking that HE was to go potty. What?? Sam has a big bladder and can go hours and hours between trips to the bathroom. He had gone right before I got him in the tub. And I didn't have his hair washed yet. But once an idea is in Sam's head, he can't let go. I looked anxiously at Nolan, but he seemed calm at the moment. So I dried Sam off a bit, put him on the toilet, then turned just in time to see Nolan pee and pee and pee all over the bathtub.

I scooped him out, passed him off to Bill, drained the tub, got Sam back in there, washed his hair, and called it a day.

In an effort to look at the bright side, Nolan WAS right. He really did have to go. And there's always that slim possibility that if I had had the opportunity to get him on the potty one last time, he might have gone for me. So I will cling to that bit of optimism....

No comments: