Saturday, October 31, 2009

More observations

TJ had some sort of a bug last weekend (nope, not H1N1). I kept him home from church on Sunday in an effort to avoid passing the germs on and to encourage him to rest. His comment? "When you are sick you sleep a lot AND you are tired."

Last weekend we had a clear, starry night. Apparently, my mom was outside pointing out a few constellations to the boys. The next morning, TJ informed me that "There's a star shape that's a dipping spoon." I had to have him repeat that a few times before I figured out he was talking about the Big Dipper.

TJ had tubes put in his ears last Tuesday. It did not go well, but that's another story, and none of it was his fault. I asked him afterward if he could hear better and he said, "Not really. The sound effects are all off." I really don't know what that means, but at this point, I think his hearing is worse. He goes to see the ENT for a follow-up on Monday, and I am anxious to see what he thinks.

The other night, we had the news on while we ate dinner (No comments, please. It's usually the only time I can actually sort of catch the news). The top story was a child around 2 or 3 years old had been found wandering near a busy intersection. No one knew who he was, and he was unable to tell them his name. I thought that over. Sam is exactly that age, and in my humble opinion, is smart as a whip. He's known for over a year what an octagon is, he knows all of his letters, numbers, colors, etc. But I suddenly doubted he knew his name. I said, "Hey, Sam, what's your name?" He stopped eating, looked at me in disbelief, and said, "Sam!" I laughed and agreed that Sam was his name, but then I asked what his 'long' name was. I got a blank stare and silence in response. I prompted him, "Is your name Samuel William Baron?" He smiled and said, "Yep, that sounds right!" I told Bill that if a policeman just happened to guess his name, we'd be all set. I guess we should start working on that. Maybe I'll make him memorize his phone number.

No comments: