Monday, October 7, 2013

Updates

I know, I know.  It's been a long time since I've posted anything.  Please be assured that you haven't missed too much.  My free time has been spent packing, then unpacking, re-organizing, painting walls, assisting with homework...you name it.  Nothing too lively or outrageous.

We are in the new house.  I absolutely love the house.  The only thing wrong with it is that it is about 120 miles further east than I'd like it.  But I'm learning to adjust.

The boys love the house and they love their neighborhood.  It seems like they meet new kids every day.  Bill was watching them play the other day.  He said they reminded him of a small, happy mob.  The mob was at our house for about a half hour, then moved on to the next house.  A little while later, they moved on to a different house.

The adults in the neighborhood are all very friendly.  I've gotten to know some of the moms pretty well, just from standing at the bus stop and chatting.  The boys have been invited to a Halloween party at one of the neighbors, who happens to be one of Nolan's dearest friends and is also in his kindergarten class.

The boys do still miss Grand Rapids, their relatives, and especially their grandparents.  My mom was out here the first weekend we were in the house.  She stayed for two days.  Her primary responsibility was keeping the boys out of my hair.  She also helped with unpacking, made a few meals, and gave me somebody to talk to, besides myself.  The boys were very sad when she had to go home.

But TJ informed me that he is doing his best to convince her to move out to New Hudson.  He told me that he kept telling her how nice the neighborhood is, and how there are still a few lots for sale.  He seemed pretty smug.  Apparently, he thinks it's just a matter of time before she caves and moves by us.

I hate to tell him, but the odds aren't in his favor.  80% of my mom's kids live in the greater Grand Rapids area.  And over 75% of her grandchildren live there.  The best we can do is convince her to visit, and to bring Toby the wonder pup along so he doesn't miss her too much.

Which brings me to my public service announcement.  We have a lovely guest room with a queen-sized bed and a full bath, just waiting for guests.  We keep the bedroom door closed so it's completely cat hair-free.  There's a small kitchenette and a seating area with a TV for our guests.  Let me know when you want to come visit!  If you're lucky, I might not even ask you to paint!

No comments: