Monday, October 14, 2013

No big deal

Bill and I frequently refer to TJ as our Drama Queen. He reacts so quickly and so emotionally to things. Sometimes it's good and genuine and sometimes it is very tiresome. 

Unless he feels embarrassed or chastised, Sam is the opposite. He's very calm and laid-back. Sometimes he is TOO calm and laid-back. 

Case in point: early one morning while we were still living in the hotel, Bill was in the shower and I was in the kitchenette area, putting on my makeup. Sam came out of the bedroom, walked over to me, and wrapped his arms around me. Seems like no big deal, but I was alarmed. Sam never willingly gets up before 7:00, and it was only 6:30. In addition, he was so quiet. I held him at arm's length and asked him if he needed his inhaler. He nodded. He was in the middle of a pretty serious asthma attack. I was so glad his inhaler was right there. 

A few days later, we were eating dinner and Sam walked over to Bill. He didn't say anything so Bill finally asked him why he wasn't sitting down. Sam gasped out, "No big deal. I'm just choking."  He was, but thankfully he managed to work it lose while he was standing near his dad. 

This morning, around 2:30 am, Sam came into our bedroom. He was coughing. He told me he had a little tickle in his throat and wondered if he could have some water. I told him that he could have some water...after he we did his rescue inhaler. That 'little tickle' was another decent asthma attack. 

In a way, it's nice that he can stay calm in situations where most people would panic. In another way, it makes me nervous. You have to observe Sam closely. Very closely. Mr. Calm and Collected could be in serious danger and bystanders would never know. 

No comments: