Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Unappropriate words

This morning, after Nolan got dressed, I realized the pants he was wearing were too short.  That's the problem with changing seasons.  I keep finding more things that don't fit the boys correctly.  I asked Nolan to change his pants and he gave me his most exasperated look.  He had already gotten dressed once, and I was going to make him do it again?!  So I went to help him change.

As I helped him step into a larger pair of pants, Nolan said to me (in a rather confidential tone), "Yesterday, at school, a kid said a bad word."  I sighed, and told him that yes, sometimes people say bad words.  He just needs to remember that those words are not okay words in our family and we don't say them here.  Nolan nodded very seriously.  Then he asked me if I wanted to hear the word.  I shook my head and said I didn't need to know.

Nolan, however, was determined to tell me.  "Underwear!  The boy said 'underwear'!  And we don't talk about underwear.  That's unappropriate." (yes, that is the word he used)

I managed to hold the laughter in while I agreed with Nolan that underwear isn't something we should discuss in school.

I went downstairs and relayed this information to Bill.  His serious reaction also made me laugh.  "Well, he's right.  They shouldn't be discussing that." 

I give up.  At least we aren't dealing with actual foul language yet!

No comments: