Saturday, November 17, 2012

Both a blessing and a curse

Sam is one of my favorite blog subjects, because I just don't always understand him.  He's so intense.  He's so precise.  He's so...inflexible.

Sometimes, it's a blessing.  When we are standing in the Christmas tree section at Meijer and Sam is intently studying every tree with a big smile on his face.  When he's sitting on his dad's lap and they are having a serious discussion about how vibrations are sounds and different vibrations create different sounds.  When his brother is talking about a certain song and Sam calmly tells us the last time we heard that song as a family (and he is absolutely correct).

Sometimes, it's a curse.  Like when he's gotten up out of bed at 9:00 because he's worrying about how one of his Christmas trees doesn't have lights on it.  Or when (again...out of bed past his bedtime) he's fussing over the location of an extension cord Bill lent him and then needed back.  Or when I tell him that I saw them putting up the Christmas decorations in Standale and he gets extremely upset when I don't immediately drive him over there to look.  Or when he's writing his spelling words on the white board and decides halfway through that he needs to switch colors, so he ERASES THE ENTIRE TEST, switches markers, and then calmly tells me to start again from the beginning.

I laugh.  I cry.  I remind Bill that Sam is mostly his fault.  And then I laugh when Bill reminds me that Sam is my fault too.


This is my favorite picture of Sam from our Disney trip.  This is the sheer joy he had on his face, simply from watching a fountain.  I smile every time I look at this. 

Never mind what I said in the title.  No part of parenting Sam is a curse.  Granted, it isn't always easy, but I am so blessed to be his Mom.

No comments: