Thursday, June 10, 2010

TJ still cracks us up

At 6 1/2 years old, TJ usually knows what he is talking about. Occasionally, though, he still makes mistakes. He usually has the good grace to laugh at himself, or ignore me when I start laughing.

Yesterday, a box arrived for the boys. I had ordered each of them a Kleen Kanteen stainless steel water bottle from my co-op group. The boys often ask for water to drink, and TJ and Sam each had their own plastic water bottle. However, the water started tasting (and smelling) funky after just a little while, no matter how often I scrubbed the bottles with soap and water. So, I upgraded them to stainless steel and bought one for Nolan too. The boys were very excited. They each have their own color, and Nolan's has a special sippy cup top so he can drink without making a mess. While they were admiring their bottles, TJ informed Sam that stainless steel is really good and that it is 'almost like glass'. No. It's not even close to glass, but whatever...

This was the last week of school. Both Tuesday and today, TJ came home with little treats (and tons of papers! Good grief! I hope he doesn't realize I threw most of them out!). Anyway, on Tuesday, he came home with taffy. You know, taffy...the chewy candy that has zero nutritional value to it. For some reason, TJ could not remember what the candy was called. He kept calling it "Krispie", as in "Rice Krispie Treat". The two items could not be more different. When TJ finally ate the taffy, he realized why I kept telling him it wasn't "Krispie". Nope. He agreed, as he tried prying it out of his teeth.

Last night, Bill grilled hamburgers. Correction...he grilled cheeseburgers. My boys love cheese, and usually call cheeseburgers 'meat burgers with cheese.' While I was slicing up items to put on the burgers, I asked TJ what he would like on his. Sometimes he asks for tomato, and I wanted to make sure I cut enough. TJ thought it over and said, "I just want the meat, the cheese, and the bun. No tomato this time, and DO NOT put cucumbers on it." I thought that was a very strange answer, as I don't think I've ever known anyone to put cucumbers on a burger. I asked him why in the world he was worrying about cucumbers. He looked puzzled, and then said, "You know...the green things you pick off my burgers at McDonald's."

Oh! Pickles! TJ doesn't yet realize how closely related pickles and cucumbers are. He just had me laughing with that one.

Today, my big boy finished kindergarten. I feel a bit sad at how quickly he's growing. According to the report card from his gym teacher, he grew 3 inches this year, and gained 3 pounds. TJ was sad to see the school year end. He told me several times, "Mrs. Marsh is really going to miss me." He makes me smile.

No comments: