Monday, June 21, 2010

It's all in your perspective...

Sam is lactose intolerant. It's not as bad as it used to be, but we are still careful with dairy. Sam can have cheese in small amounts and the occasional ice cream cone without experiencing any ill effects. When it comes to milk, I only serve him soy milk (usually Silk milk in the light vanilla flavor). He gets it twice a day, and I can make the $2.94 half gallon last a week.

Yesterday morning, however, we were out of Silk. He normally has a little on his cereal in the morning, and a glass of milk with his breakfast. I gave him a glass of apple juice instead, and poured a very small amount of 1% milk on his cereal. Sam was very upset about this change in routine. He insisted no one should drink juice at breakfast, which I found amusing. But what really cracked me up was when he tasted his cereal. He declared the milk 'yucky' and said his cereal just didn't taste right.

I thought he would consider 'real' milk a treat. But he thought it tasted funny. Just like I think Silk milk tastes funny. It really is all in one's perspective of what 'normal' is.

No comments: