Sunday, December 13, 2009

Care and feeding of toddlers...

Things I learned this weekend:

1. Nolan loves bacon.
2. Nolan cannot chew bacon. Apparently, the fat in it is too much for his little teeth to handle.
3. Nolan will hold a piece of bacon in his mouth for about 10 minutes, then will start gagging.
4. I can run really fast into a hotel bathroom if I think my 20-month-old is about to puke in the lobby.

We were in Farmington Hills this weekend for Bill's work Christmas party. The party is really geared toward the kids, so his boss wanted us to bring the boys. They put us up in a Holiday Inn for the night, just to make it easier on us. It was nice to leave the party, go to the hotel, and put the boys in bed. The theory was that Bill and I would spend the rest of the evening relaxing in the living room part of our suite. However, it took the boys forever to fall asleep (Sam and TJ were wound up, Nolan was terrified). Then, they kept waking up. Nolan cried twice, Sam had a bad coughing fit, TJ couldn't find his stuffed puppy. I did not sleep much. But the boys had a grand adventure.

The bacon incident is really no big deal. I don't eat bacon, so we never have it in the house. By the time Nolan has an opportunity to eat it again, he'll probably chew it just fine. And he didn't puke. I did a finger sweep instead.

Other things I learned:
5. Santa is terrifying to Sam and Nolan. They didn't want anything to do with him. Sam told Santa he didn't want a present (because Sam didn't want to have to get close enough to accept a gift from Santa). I accepted it on his behalf.
6. Car washes are scary to Nolan. Very scary. We went through one on our way home yesterday, to try and remove several layers of salt and dirty snow. Nolan was literally shaking he was so scared. TJ got out of his seat (with my blessing) and hugged him while we went through. It was cute.

A few pictures:

No comments: