Friday, April 10, 2009

Week in Review

This week has been TJ's Spring Break. Unfortunately for him, Bill and I worked our normal work week. It wasn't all bad--I took the boys and my mom to Woodland Mall on Monday. The boys played on the giant breakfast food while I took Nolan to get his pictures taken at JC Penney's. Then Grandma treated us to pretzels (it's a tradition she started and the boys won't let her forget!). She made the mistake of ordering cinnamon sugar pretzels for herself and the boys (I only want plain with mustard, thank you!) and she discovered why she's never ordered those before. All 3 of them were absolutely covered with cinnamon and sugar! We had to go to the bathroom to clean up the mess before we headed for home. I am thinking she'll stick with plain pretzels from now on. Nolan shared my pretzel and absolutely loved it. I did not, however, share my mustard with him.

TJ also had the opportunity to go to the public museum with Grandma Cindy. They saw the special dinosaurs exhibit, which TJ seemed to enjoy. They also rode the carousel. Cindy rode with TJ, and they shared a bench (TJ called it a 'sled'). TJ told us later that Grandma Cindy said it went too fast and made her dizzy. Poor Grandma Cindy!

On Wednesday, TJ shared some words of wisdom with my mom. He informed her that when you have too much ear wax, it backs up into your nose and comes out as boogers. I had not heard that one before!

TJ was talking about ear wax, because Nolan has an ear infection. He's been on his antibiotic for two days, and has returned to sleeping through the night, but he cut a tooth today and was pretty unhappy about it. I hope he sleeps all right tonight!

Sam has his own adventure this week, back on Monday night. I don't always check on the older boys when I've been up with Nolan, but Sam has had a nasty cold this week. So, around 3 a.m., after giving Nolan a drink, I decided to make sure Sam was under the blankets and breathing okay. I walked into his room, peeked in his bunk, and...no Sam. I didn't panic. His two special blankets and his Buddy were still in the bed, so I figured he couldn't be too far away. I walked around the bunk, and sure enough, there was Sam, lying in a ball on the floor. It looked to me like he fell out of bed head-first (there's a soft giraffe pillow on the floor, just for a circumstance like this), but never woke up. He had curled up to try and stay warm. Having only one good arm, I couldn't really lift him, so I stood him on his feet, and shoved him back on the bed. I covered him up, and left the room. He never woke up (although he now claims to remember the entire incident).

Sam has only fallen out of bed a couple times. I could only fit a rail on one side of his bunk...there isn't enough room for two. So, I roll his comforter around some pillows and create a barricade on the far side of the bed. He managed to get around the top of my barricade that night. I'm just glad he wasn't hurt or upset.

And an update on my arm...I had it x-rayed again on Wednesday, and then went to the doctor today to see what the x-rays said. It's not good news. The x-rays did not show really any healing to speak of. In fact, the bone was not displaced originally, but now it is marginally displaced (meaning the bones have shifted slightly along the fracture). She said it isn't serious enough for surgery, but it means at least another month in the sling. Ugh. I am so tired of the sling, and I'm also frustrated that I'm not healing more quickly/efficiently. I need a bone regenerative pill or something!

No comments: