Sunday, April 19, 2009

Sleeping through the night

I think it's safe to say that Nolan is sleeping through the night. Over the past 12 nights, he's slept through 10 of them. Yes, it took a year to get to this point, but it took Sam almost two years, so I am rejoicing! Nolan is up to 50% whole milk in his bottles, with no signs of tummy trouble. I can't even describe how relieved I am. And yes, I know we need to give up the bottles. Once he's off formula, we'll start working on the sippy cup.

Last night, both of his big brothers had me up (I tell you, it's an evil conspiracy). TJ had to go to the bathroom around 3 a.m., and he wanted company. He has started having nightmares and is afraid to be in the bathroom by himself. When he describes his bad dreams to me, they are almost humorous, but in the middle of the night he finds them frightening. He was actually trying to get Daddy up, but it can be pretty hard to rouse Bill. So, I trailed after him, watched him go potty, and then watched him climb back up into his bunk.

A half hour later, I had just gotten back into a deep sleep when Sam started shrieking (and he has a pretty loud and demanding shriek). I went in his room and he told me his favorite yellow blanket had fallen off the far side of the bed. I walked around the bed. No blanket. I started rifling through his sheets, trying to come up with the blanket. No blanket. I finally looked at Sam (he was huddled up by his pillow). He was HOLDING the blanket! Argh! I covered him up and he went back to sleep. Or maybe he wasn't fully awake to begin with?

A couple funnies:

Diet pop makes me hiccup. I don't know why; it just does. I don't drink much pop anymore, but I did have a can with the pizza I made on Friday night. Diet Big Red. It's gross. Anyway, I took a sip, and hiccuped. TJ asked me what was wrong. I had just finished explaining to him that I had the hiccups when Nolan let out a huge belch. TJ looked at him very calmly and said, "We've got us a burper here!"

The older two boys have suddenly latched onto Nolan's two "Signing Time" DVDs. I alternate between thinking they are really cute, to wanting to tear my hair out over hearing the same songs endlessly repeated. Both TJ and Sam have learned a couple dozen signs (Nolan has only minimal interest thus far). Before church this morning, TJ did something and Bill scolded him. TJ came to me and was highly insulted. He said, "I signed 'sorry' to Daddy and he was still mad." I had to remind him that Daddy hadn't watched the videos, which means TJ still needs to SAY the word!

This afternoon, I was playing with Sam and Nolan on the living room floor. Sam alternates between talking with me, and carrying on conversations with himself. He was busy working on his alphabet puzzle, when he murmured, "I think....I stink." He didn't, but I thought it was quite funny.

No comments: