Sunday, November 3, 2013

Idiot-proofing the appliances

The builder of our new home provided our new stove, microwave, and dishwasher. We were responsible for purchasing the refrigerator. We liked the fridge we had at our last house, a stainless steel, French door style, with no water dispenser in the door. (We especially liked the price of the models without the dispenser. Pricey little convenience!) So when we started looking for a new fridge, we wanted something similar. 

What we found was the same style, but slightly larger (always a good thing with three growing boys!) No dispenser in the door, but it does have a small dispenser just inside, which is really nice. It has an ice maker, which the boys will not leave alone. Those kids eat ice like most kids eat junk food. As my mom would say, "You're going to break your teeth!"

The fridge was delivered one day before we had possession of the house. Bill said the Best Buy guys essentially stuck it in its place, plugged it in, and left. So the next day, I opened the fridge and discovered everything was still covered in tape and cellophane (which was now nicely chilled). I spent about ten minutes carefully removing all of the packaging. 

After about five minutes, the fridge started chiming at me. Bill heard the noise and came to investigate. We both laughed when we realized the fridge had an alarm that sounded if the door was left open for too long. I thought it was a fairly silly feature. You know, just another way to jack up the price. 

So, our new fridge doesn't close as easily as our old fridge. With the old fridge, I knew exactly how hard to flick my wrist to get the door to slam shut. I've been using the same technique here, and have discovered that the door doesn't shut all the way. You really do have to physically push it shut. 

On at least half a dozen occasions, I have been startled while preparing a meal by the sound of the fridge chiming. I sheepishly shut it before anyone comments. 

Last week, TJ beat me to it. He was walking through the kitchen when the fridge started its merry little tune. He pushed the door shut and shot me a look. "Sure is nice that this fridge reminds you to shut the door, huh, Mom?"

Oh hush. I feel like the fridge is tattling on me. 


No comments: