Thursday, November 21, 2013

No More Nines!

Yesterday was TJ's tenth birthday.  If you are wondering how that is possible, join the club.  Time is flying by.  Although when I think about life pre-TJ, that seems like ages and ages ago.

At any rate, Nolan had a concern about his brother's birthday.  Nolan asked me if I had bought TJ some new clothes for his birthday.  I said yes, just the shirt that TJ had opened.  (TJ was allowed to open one gift before school, so I had him open a shirt, his boring gift.  He was not impressed.  He told me it was as if I had given him no gift at all.  Drama queen).  Nolan was shocked.  "That's it?  Just one shirt??  What is he supposed to do??"

I didn't understand Nolan's panic.  So Nolan clarified.  "TJ is ten now!  He can't wear his nine clothes anymore!  And you only bought him one shirt?!"

I tried explaining to Nolan that TJ hadn't grown over night.  Nolan was clearly doubtful that I knew what I was talking about.  Apparently, parents are supposed to understand that kids need new wardrobes when they have birthdays.

When TJ got home from school, he opened up his real gift--an iPod Touch and a case for it. TJ couldn't stop hugging me.  Then he said he understood why we didn't give him that gift in the morning.  He wouldn't have wanted to go to school.



No comments: