Monday, January 23, 2012

Home sweet home

Bill and I just spent a week in Hawaii, partly as a vacation, but primarily to help his step-brother Ryan celebrate his wedding on the 21st. We got home this afternoon, while Nolan was asleep. Sam was in the midst of a bout of stomach flu. I had a lot of unpacking to do, but not much got done. He kept pleading with me to stay with him in the living room. As far as I can recall, this is only the second time he has had the stomach flu. He found it to be rather scary and frustrating, and he just wanted me nearby. It's hard to say 'no' to an ill child who needs and wants you.

I dozed off in the chair next to Sam. I was up most of the night, traveling, and was exhausted. I did have Sam's permission to sleep, in case you were wondering. After awhile, I heard small footsteps coming down the hall and an awed voice say, "Mama??" Nolan ran in the room, climbed on my lap, and threw his arms around me. He kept telling me how much he missed me.

Right around that time, TJ ran in the house after school. He shouted with joy to see that we had returned. He informed me that he really missed 'all those weird noises Daddy makes.'

Our vacation was amazing. Beautiful, gorgeous, fun, but I think that was the best part of my vacation. Coming home.

Although, I really could have done without the vomit...

No comments: