Sunday, January 8, 2012

Almost a real teacher!

My parents went away for a long weekend to celebrate their 40th anniversary (a few weeks late). One of my responsibilities while they were away was to teach my mom's Sunday School class. She teaches second grade. TJ is one of her twelve students. (May I point out that I was quite thankful that only 8 showed up today?)

Until this morning, I hadn't mentioned this to TJ. But I started teasing him at breakfast. I said, "Grandma is still gone. What are we going to do about Sunday School? Who is going to teach your class???"

TJ looked worried for a moment and then he smiled. "You! You're my teacher!" He figured this out because I've been assisting my mom about half the time this year (so she doesn't have to cope with 12 second graders on her own). I was pleased that he was so excited about the prospect of having his mom for a teacher. But then he burst my bubble.

"Mom! You are just like a student teacher!"

Yes. I'm 35 years old. I taught my first Sunday School class over 13 years ago. But today, my son promoted me to student teacher. I'm so proud.

No comments: