Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Sam part 2


Sam started kindergarten today. I'm still trying to figure out how that's possible. Wasn't he just born? I love all of my children equally, but Sam holds a different piece of my heart. I think it's because he had such a rough time for the first 18 months of his life. We spent so much time together at night, with Sam crying in pain, and me trying to comfort him. I remember sleeping on the floor next to his crib (both at our home in Comstock Park and while we were living at my mom's), holding his little hand through the rails, trying to give him some comfort. I remember rocking, rocking, rocking him trying to soothe him. I remember watching endless pointless television in the middle of the night with him. I remember how perfectly his little head fit in the crook of my arm when we inevitably passed out together. I remember the desperate frustration when he'd wake up in pain an hour or so later and we'd start all over again.

His diet now fixed, those days have been gone for over 3 years now, but I still feel very protective of my Sam. He's so sweet, he is so smart, he is so interesting. This morning, while he was getting dressed, he said, "You know Mom, the brain is like a big pink ball." All righty. That's exactly why this child needs to be in school. He wants to learn so much more!

Sam was so excited about school. He had absolutely no fear or trepidation. I grilled him to make sure he knew his name ('it's Samuel Baron, Mom!'), his brother's name (it's Theodore Baron, Mom!'), his bus number (12), his teacher's name ('Mrs. Benefiel') and his street name (we will work on the house number and our phone number shortly). But Sam had no problems. He wasn't even phased with the mix-up with busing, and his bus never came this morning. He willingly caught a ride with our neighbor. He had a fantastic day and was thoughtful enough to save his big brother a seat on the bus on the way home.

I'm so proud of my Sam. I love him so much. I just wish he wasn't growing up so fast.

No comments: