Thursday, September 8, 2011

Old and Senile

Today is my 35th birthday. It got off to a rather unusual start.

Nolan got me up around 3 a.m. to go potty. When a child wakes me up, the very first thing I do is reach for my glasses. Everything is far too blurry for me to function without them. My glasses are always sitting right in front of my clock radio so they are easy to reach. Well, this morning when I reached for them, they weren't there. I quickly felt all the way around my clock radio. No glasses. I then realized I could clearly see the numbers on the clock. I was puzzled and actually touched my face to see if I had fallen asleep wearing my glasses. Nope. Then it hit me...for the first time in 17 years, I FORGOT to take out my contacts before I went to bed.

But I didn't have time to dwell on my bizarre mistake. Nolan had to go! So I helped him in the bathroom and on the potty. With each blink, my eyes felt worse. It felt like I was blinking through sand. There were blobs in my vision and my eyes desperately wanted to water, but were too dry. The moment I had Nolan tucked back in bed, I went in the bathroom, took my contacts out and cleaned them thoroughly.

My eyes were no worse for the wear when I got up this morning, although they were less than thrilled when I put my contacts back in.

I have no idea how I forgot to take my contacts out. But for once, I was very grateful that a child had disturbed my sleep. I probably would have been blind by morning if he hadn't!!

No comments: