Friday, September 9, 2011

Mr. Independent

Nolan continues to stay dry at night. He gets us up once or twice every night. Last night, he was up around midnight. I got up for work around 6 a.m. and was surprised that Nolan hadn't gotten me up a second time.

Nolan woke up right around 7 a.m. I told him he needed to get dressed before he ate breakfast. I asked him if he needed to go potty first. He replied with, "Nope. I just went". I was surprised. I hadn't heard him get Bill up while I was in the bathroom getting ready for work. I asked him if Daddy had helped him. His response gave me a sinking feeling in my stomach. "Nope. I did it all by myself. And I made a big mess. Wanna see it?" Well, I didn't WANT to see it, but I knew I needed to. He led me into the bathroom where I discovered he wasn't exaggerating. He had apparently pulled the stool over to the toilet and attempted to go potty while standing up. There was potty on the stool, on the floor, on the rug, on the trash can, on the outside of the toilet, on the side of the bathtub, even on the plunger sitting next to the toilet. I think there was a little in the toilet, but it couldn't have been much. I cleaned it up with the help of several Lysol wipes and tomorrow I will mop and scrub it all again.

Part of me admires Nolan for his willingness to try things on his own, but most of me would prefer he just ask for help next time. Yuck!

No comments: