Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Nolan's suicide attempt?

For his birthday, Nolan received a life jacket from my mom. It's a different style life jacket. As he learns to swim and gains control in the water, you remove some of the flotation from the jacket. By the time you pull out the last of the flotation cushions, you should have a fairly independent swimmer.

Here are a couple pictures of Nolan in his life jacket:



The hotel we selected for our spring break trip had a pool. TJ and Nolan were very excited to go swimming (Sam and Bill were not, and never got in their bathing suits). Nolan showed no fear when getting in the pool, but the water was a little chilly, so he made his way down the steps slowly. I was less than thrilled about the cold temperature and stood patiently on the steps next to him. I looked out the window for just a moment and when I looked down, Nolan was face down in the water, floating away from me! I yanked him up out of the water by grabbing on to his life jacket. He sputtered for a moment and then said very seriously, "Well! I didn't like that!" But he never cried or asked to get out of the pool.

I discovered that the life jacket is almost too buoyant for him. It wanted to flip him forward or backwards unless I had a hand on him to keep him steady. We'll have to make some adjustments to that before he plays in our pool this summer!

No comments: