Thursday, December 23, 2010

TJ's opinion on Santa

TJ has occasionally asked me if Santa was real. I honestly wasn't sure what to tell him. I don't ever recall believing in Santa (probably because Eric, the practical realist, was my big brother), and I wasn't sure I wanted TJ to believe in Santa, but I also didn't want to ruin a part of childhood for him. So I was deliberately vague whenever TJ asked me. I would usually just ask him if he thought Santa was real, and TJ would reply that he wasn't sure.

A few weeks ago, TJ informed me that he KNEW Santa wasn't real. I asked him why he thought that and he replied, "Grandma told me!" Okay, there's another reason why I didn't believe in Santa. My mother, the practical realist. Ha ha. Anyway, he told me he thought it was silly that some of his classmates believed in Santa. I told him that he should be nice and let them decide what they wanted to believe.

Last night, TJ asked me if I would please leave out some chocolate milk and candy before I went to bed on Christmas Eve. I asked him why, and he said, "Well, just in case Santa is real, he might be hungry when he stops by." I thought that was cute. He wants to cover all of his bases. I was a little confused by his food requests, but he insists Santa likes chocolate milk.

One other funny Christmas memory with TJ. He received a small red stocking as a gift from his teacher. He hung it up with his regular stocking on our fireplace. Then he told me that I had to buy him extra stuff since he has TWO stockings instead of one. I told him that wasn't how it worked.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: