Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Oh Sam!

For dinner Monday, Bill grilled hamburgers. We grill at least once a week during the summer, so the boys are used to the Weber being in the driveway.

When I was putting the boys in bed that night, Sam informed me that he had burned himself on the grill. He pointed at an invisible spot on his left arm. I sympathized over the hidden burn, and reminded him not to go near the grill when it was hot.

By yesterday afternoon, the non-existent burn was a large, blistering burn on his left forearm. He also has a smaller burn on his right arm. What did he do? Try to hug the grill? I asked Bill if he saw Sam near the grill, but he hadn't. Sam didn't inform Daddy of his burns until Tuesday morning.

Yesterday (Tuesday) was one of the best days of Sam's life. He started preschool. He was so excited. TJ got on the bus for his first day of first grade at 7:50 a.m. Immediately after that, Sam started asking when we would be leaving for preschool. Poor Sam. Preschool doesn't start until 9:30. He kept putting his backpack on and asking me what time it was. Sam has a watch, which he recently started wearing fairly regularly. TJ also has a watch and is figuring out how to tell time. Sam's understanding of the time is coming more slowly, but he seemed to understand what I was saying when I described what 9:00 looked like (that's when we were leaving to go pick up Grandma so she could see where Sam had to be dropped off and picked up). Sam listened closely, then started fussing with his watch. He somehow pulled the little dial on his watch and managed to change the time. After a moment he muttered, "There. Now it's 9:00". I held back laughter and gently explained that we can't make time go faster by adjusting clocks.

When we arrived at preschool, Sam met the teacher aide for the first time. He was already absorbed in looking at some projects that were laid out, and muttered "Sam" when she asked him what his name was. She asked him to tell her his name one more time. Sam looked up and spelled out very clearly "S. A. M." I laughed. He wasn't being rude. He was just letting her know how he spells his name.

When he got home from my mom's tonight, Sam informed me that he had to go potty. I asked him to hang up his coat, then come down to the bathroom. A minute later, Sam wandered into my bedroom. I asked him if he was ready to go potty, and he said, "No. I think I will spin for awhile first." He then began spinning in circles.

OK. That lasted for about five minutes. Then Sam decided he was ready to go potty.

No comments: