Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Campground Bathroom

I spent a lot of time in the campground bathroom last week. With Sam. He is still struggling with remembering to tell us BEFORE he starts to poop, so we made many, many treks over to the bathroom (which was thankfully just across the street) where Sam would sit. And sit. And sit.

Most of the time, we used the women's bathroom. Some of the time we would use one of the larger family bathrooms, but Sam latched on to stall #2 in the women's bathroom, and that was his preference. You see, the toilet in that stall flushes differently than the rest of the toilets. I have camped at Cran-Hill for 20 years, and never noticed this. Sam noticed this immediately, and loved it.

While Sam sat, he would either ask for privacy (I would stand just outside the stall and wait impatiently), or he had a million questions. In ONE bathroom visit, this is what we discussed:
  • Why is that light broken?
  • Why does this toilet flush differently?
  • How do I (Sam) relax my muscles to push out the potty?
  • What is a buffalo? (I pulled out my iPhone, googled it, and showed him pictures!)
  • What bone is....(and he proceeded to ask me about his shoulder, collar bone, breastbone, ribs, all the bones in his arm...he was really testing my ability to recall anatomy class)
  • Where does the water go when you flush it?
  • Is anyone else in the bathroom with us?

I alternate between wanting to laugh hysterically at him, be totally in awe of the way his mind works, and wanting to scream in frustration because he just NEVER STOPS. He is never satisfied and always wants to know more. Half the time, I no longer have the answers for him.

Oh, and I would just like to share my two rules for campground bathrooms:

1. SHOES ARE A MUST! Sure, they clean it 3 times a day, but bare feet are out of the question! Yuck!!

2. SHOES ARE A MUST! To the lady who walked in from the dirt road, into the not-clean bathroom in just her socks...ICK! Where are your standards???

No comments: