Saturday, February 27, 2010

Tale of Two Tobys

My mom has a shih-tzu named Toby. Toby is a very nice dog, but honestly, he doesn't seem that intelligent. He spends most of his time dancing on his back legs, begging for crackers.

Bill's mom has a large, fluffy gray cat named Toby. Toby seems resentful. Perhaps it is because when Bill's mom adopted him, she was told that Toby was a "she", so Toby spent his first months with the name "Sophie". I don't think he's ever forgiven the world for that.

Anyway, tonight Bill and I had an evening out (mmm....Uccello's!) and Bill's mom watched the boys at her house. My children identify their grandmothers with rather unusual characteristics. My mom is referred to as "Grandma Grandma" or as "The Grandma over here"--nearest to our house. Bill's step-mom, Cindy, is "Grandma Cindy who builds forts". And Bill's mom, well, the boys can't get over her cat. She's "Grandma Ellen with the crazy cat". Toby seems to hate all children. As soon as they walked through the front door tonight, Toby (who was sitting on the couch a good 20 feet away) started hissing at them. The boys never go near Toby. They just stare at him in fascination, and fear.

Toby marched indignantly down the stairs right after the boys arrived. Several hours later, when we were packing them up to head home, Toby reappeared. Sam was utterly captivated. He is definitely afraid of Toby, though, as he will only speak in whispers when Toby is around. He kept giving us updates. "Toby is by the front door." "I see Toby." "Toby is mad." No kidding.

Bill put the boys in the car then came back inside to say good-bye to his mom while I finished packing up their bag. Toby waltzed up to us and Bill scooped him up. We both were able to pet him. He is the softest cat I have ever known. And not one hiss. My poor boys. They would have been so envious. I can't figure out why that cat dislikes them so much.

Monday, when they go over to my mom's, Toby the dog will be prancing around excitedly and will most likely knock Nolan over at least once.

Note to self: never name a pet Toby.

No comments: