Thursday, January 21, 2010

2010 Cruise Day 6

Today was our second 'at sea' day. I did not accomplish a whole lot. I have been hitting the elliptical, but apparently, hour-long work-outs are too much for me. My quads are killing me. I could hardly get out of bed this morning. So, I settled for a 3 mile walk around the promenade deck (that is deck 3...one deck below us). Bill read in a lounge chair and smiled supportively every time I walked by.

This afternoon, we went to an Indonesian tea ceremony. Turns out Indonesian tea is pretty tasty! The food they served with it was typical tea food (scones, pastries, etc). The majority of the wait staff in the restaurant is Indonesian, as Holland America has one of their two training facilities there (the other is in the Netherlands, of course!). The staff was decked out in traditional attire and seemed to be enjoying themselves. We were seated with one of the dumbest people I have met in a long time. She was about 5 years younger than me, and may have had two brain cells bouncing around in her head. She kept asking what time we land in the Bahamas. Dear, planes land. Ships DOCK. Oy. I was happy when the couple on the other side of Bill started chatting with us. They were there with her sister. The two women grew up in Nortwest Grand Rapids and went to the old Union High. They were very amused when I said I worked about a block from that building. They told us they had breakfast with a gentleman from Holland (Mi.) and felt like it was small world indeed.

Tomorrow we will be hanging out in the Bahamas. It sounds like there isn't much on the island besides a souvenir shop and a post office. The island belongs to Holland America. I am not sure why there is a post office there. I wonder if people actually live there, or if it is just staffed when a ship is docked there. I guess we will find out tomorrow!

Tonight is our second (and final) formal dinner. That means I have to shake the wrinkles out of my dress. They won't let you iron in your room. They claim it is a fire hazard. I think it is because they want to charge you to iron your clothing for you.

No comments: