Friday, November 7, 2008

The age of discovery

So, Sam is two. As most of you know, he is a very good-natured child, so I really can't call his age The Terrible Twos. At most, sometimes he doesn't think I'm serious and will laugh at me when I'm trying to get him to do something. It's really not too bad.

What is a bit frustrating is his curiosity. He's always into something. Right now, he's really obsessed with light switches. He carries around the little bathroom stool and turns all the lights on and off. Poor Nolan has had more than one nap disrupted by Sam flipping on the lights and turning the ceiling fan on.

Sam is also very pet-friendly. He has always loved Aria, our cat (who is still temporarily residing at my parent's house). He is learning to like Toby, my mom's puppy, although Toby's rambunctiousness can make Sam a bit nervous at times. No, Sam is a cat person. We have recently discovered there is a neighborhood cat who likes our house...a lot. I find her sleeping in the stroller in the garage, sunning herself on the porch, or peeking in the basement windows. Sam adores this cat and asks to go outside when he sees her.

On to Sam's other new talent: opening doors. He discovered on Tuesday that he could open the front door by himself. It wasn't terribly cold Tuesday night, but it was getting dark and was a little windy. Plus, the cat was on the porch. Sam opened the door, I closed it and explained he wasn't supposed to do that. I dead-bolted the door just to help him remember. 10-15 minutes later, I was in the kitchen when the cat walked past me! Yikes! Sam had let it in! Darn cat always makes lots of noise, until she's where she shouldn't be. I had no idea she was in the house.

A short while later, my sister and her fiance stopped by, and Sam calmly flipped the deadbolt and let them in. So much for that being a deterrent.

And the next morning, while I was at work, my mom discovered Sam had let the cat in again. My mom said I'm going to wind up with fleas in the house. Thanks. I feel much better now.

No comments: