Monday, August 25, 2008

Fabulous Fives

This afternoon, TJ went to West Elementary for the first time. We had a two-hour fab fives orientation. It didn't start off too well, which is typical for TJ. We were supposed to go through some paperwork while he drew a self-portrait. Then we were supposed to tour the room, make sure he knew where everything in the bathroom was (this should be interesting...he never shuts the door at home...that might freak out the little girls if he forgets to shut it!), find his cubby, coat hook, etc. Then we could go out on the playground. No biggie, right? WRONG! TJ spied a train out on the playground and wanted to go out there immediately. So he sobbed rather obnoxiously while Bill and I were trying to listen to Mrs. Tagg. I finally told him we weren't going outside AT ALL until he finished his papers and we looked around the room. He finally pulled himself together and the rest of the visit went fine.

The first few days may be rough, but he'll adjust. I know (for the most part) he won't be a problem for Mrs. Tagg. The one concern I do have is that he is the ONLY fab fives kid who rides his bus. Not one other child he knows! Thankfully, he only rides the bus on the way home (I'm required to drop him off at school since there is no noon bus run). I keep reminding him to sit up by the driver. I hope he remembers. He's only four years old! I don't want him in the back with kids who might bully him or teach him things I don't want him to learn. I've heard only good things about Coopersville Schools, except for the report from my neighbor across the street. They pulled their son out of Coopersville and put him in private school. Why? Because he was getting bullied incessantly on the bus and the district did nothing to help them. Please...not TJ....

The other challenge we have is nap time. He's cut back, but TJ still naps 4 times a week or so. Starting tonight, we're moving bedtime up earlier. He also knows he isn't allowed out of bed before 7:00 a.m. (he can't really tell time, but he does understand 7:00). I'm hoping that with the days getting shorter, he'll sleep later, and in general, be a happy kid while he's in school. When he gets home, I'll give him a snack then have him unwind in his bedroom for a little while.

I'm still wondering how it's possible that my baby is old enough to go to school. Where have the years gone?

No comments: