Friday, August 22, 2008

Divide and Conquer

Today was one of those days where someone was crying most of the day. Sam has a cold and Nolan is catching it. I think summer colds should be outlawed, but unfortunately, nature does not agree with me. TJ decided not to nap, so he was grumpy. By the time Bill got home from work, I was frazzled. We were supposed to meet Bill's best friend, Joe, and his little boy Ben, out in Holland, but we decided it was best if only Bill and TJ went.

They had a great time. They played in the water at Tunnel Park for awhile, then ended the evening at Captain Sundae (so well-known even John McCain had to get a sundae there!). Meanwhile, I finally was able to finish cleaning the bathrooms (I started yesterday but kept getting interrupted), while Nolan napped and Sam played nicely. Then we walked over to Grandma's where Sam got to play outside with his ever-present squirt bottle. Grandma gave him pretzels and Auntie Boo gave him M&Ms (along with a blue chin and brown hands!). I was a little bummed about missing out on Captain Sundae's, but my waistline doesn't need it anyway.

Bill reports that TJ behaved and had a blast. Now that his divorce is final, Joe's been in contact more. I think he's lonely. I'll never understand why his wife left him, but Joe is trying to making the best of it. He and Bill are talking about taking Ben and TJ on an overnight camping trip next year.

I had a nice evening with the younger boys. Isn't it interesting how a simple divide & conquer makes for a happier evening for all?

No comments: