Friday, December 20, 2013

Little sister?

In case you haven't noticed, a lot of our unusual conversations are started by Nolan lately.  A couple weeks ago, he opened a very large can of worms.  I was busy doing something in the kitchen and he walked in and said, "Mom?  Can I have a little sister?"

I thought he was kidding.  But he was very serious.  Apparently, he's wanted one for awhile, but I haven't brought one home.  Auntie Boo, Aunt Kristi, Aunt Mandy, and Aunt Emily have all produced little girls since Nolan was born, but he is still waiting for his little sister.  I laughed and told him that he needed to check with everyone else to see how they felt.

Sam came in the room just moments later, and Nolan quizzed him.  Sam lit up.  Yep, he wants a little sister too.  I was sure that TJ would be the one to shoot the fantasy down, but when he walked in a little while later and heard the discussion, he got excited.  I was totally surprised. How is it that no one has ever told me that they wanted a little sister??  I told all three boys that they would have to take this up with their father.

That night, when Bill got home, the boys told him they wanted a little sister.  Bill's reaction?  He looked at me (somewhat accusingly).  I laughed and told him that I had nothing to do with the conversation.  Bill spent quite some time after that trying to explain to the boys why our family is perfect, just the way it is.

Honestly, I have gone back and forth on this many times over the years.  I can't physically have another child, but part of me still wonders if I was supposed to have a little girl.  Bill keeps saying he likes the stage where we are at (solid foods, no sippy cups, everyone is potty trained and in school), and most of the time I agree with him.  It's just that little part of me that wonders if we are still supposed to adopt.  The rest of me is exhausted and keeps telling the little part of me to be quiet and go to sleep.

No comments: