Friday, December 20, 2013

D-I-V-O-R-C-E

We had a rather strange conversation at the dinner table the other night.  Nolan started it with a question.  "What's a divorce?"

Bill and I tried to diplomatically explain why divorce sometimes happens.  And that a divorce means that a judge has said two people are no longer married.  Nolan nodded and then asked us, "Have you ever been divorced?"

Bill said, "Um.  We are both still here" at the same time I said, "Not that I'm aware of".  But Nolan's question launched quite the discussion.  TJ commented that Mom would move back to Grand Rapids, since that's where she works.  He and Nolan then decided they were moving back to Grand Rapids with me.  Sam announced he wasn't going anywhere and he was going to live with Dad.  TJ commented that he and Nolan would miss seeing Sam around the halls at school, since he and Nolan would be back in Coopersville while Sam stayed at Kent Lake.

I then informed my two 'custodial' children that if a divorce ever happened, that Mom would be very poor, because Dad makes most of the money in our family.  I told them we'd have to live in Grandma's basement and that Papa probably wouldn't be too thrilled about that.  Bill followed this up by telling Sam he could probably afford to keep the house, but that he wouldn't have much money for groceries so they'd be forced to eat beans and rice for dinner every night.

In the end, TJ, Sam, and Nolan concluded that it would probably be best if Mom and Dad stayed married.  Okay.  I'm glad we all agree on that.  I kinda like our nuclear family, just the way it is, quirks and all.

No comments: