Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Vehicular ponderings

TJ and Sam have been thinking about cars lately.  Not in the way most kids think about cars.  No, mine are too weird for that.

TJ is trying to figure out the concept of money and how much things cost.  He asked me the other day if cars were really expensive.  I agreed that they certainly were.  So he asked about the Cruze.  We've had it for a year, but it's still our 'new' car, and he knows we bought it brand new.  He said, "Did the Cruze cost..." he paused and I could tell he was trying to come up with a REALLY big number "...two HUNDRED dollars?"  I started laughing right away.  I told him it was closer to twenty thousand.  TJ looked absolutely shocked.  I guess 8-year-olds don't think in thousands.

Sam has developed a strange obsession with Toyotas.  I have no idea why.  He just keeps asking if every car we see is a Toyota.  He wants me to find Toyotas.  He wants to talk about Toyotas.  Would you believe that in the past couple of days we have hardly seen any?  Typically, they are everywhere!  It's really frustrating to him that Daddy and I can't come up with more Toyotas.  He isn't satisfied if I say things like "Uncle Eric's van is a Toyota", or "Grandma Ellen drives a Toyota Camry".  He wants to see them.  It's really strange.

On a completely different note, school starts in 14 days!  I hope their teachers are ready!


No comments: