Monday, August 27, 2012

Scientific Taste Test

Sam is not a fan of fruit.  He does genuinely like bananas, apples, and applesauce.  That's about it.  To get him to eat any other fruit is usually a battle.

A couple weeks ago, I served strawberries with a fruit dip I had made.  Sam was horrified.  He couldn't believe I expected him to eat 3 pieces of strawberry!  (I had cut the strawberries in half, so we are talking a grand total of 1.5 strawberries here).  He moaned, he groaned, he complained, he acted as though the three bites would be fatal.  I tried coaxing him and negotiating with him.  No dice.  So, I got silly.  I told him we were going to conduct a scientific survey to see which he thought was better: strawberry alone, or strawberry with the fruit dip.  Sam was intrigued.  I told him we had to establish a base, so that meant he had to eat a plain strawberry first.  He did so. Sometimes it amazes me the stuff my kids will do when I make it sound fancy!  Then I told him he had to cleanse his pallet, so I gave him some apple juice.  He laughed and drank the apple juice.  Then, he tried a bite of strawberry with the fruit dip.  I told him to chew it slowly and experience the fruit dip (Yes, I know.  I'm full of it).  By this time, all three boys were laughing, but Sam ate bite #2 and looked quite thoughtful.  I told him it was decision time.  Which was better?  Strawberry alone, or strawberry with fruit dip?  Sam selected Bite #2.  This meant Bite #3 would also have the fruit dip and he would know for sure it was the winner.

The following night, Sam ate more strawberries with fruit dip, so I considered myself the real winner.

Tonight's poison was pineapple tidbits.  Only, this time there was no fruit dip.  Once again, Sam had 3 pieces of pineapple on his plate.  Once again, he was moaning and groaning and telling me he was not going to eat his fruit.  Then he asked me if I could turn it into a taste test.

Disclaimer:  If you are eating something right now, I suggest you stop.

I looked around the table and told Sam that I didn't see anything he could sample his pineapple with, unless he was going to try it with ketchup.  He said, "Okay!" and popped Bite #1 (plain pineapple) in his mouth.  I was feeling a bit horrified, but I still got him his apple juice so he could cleanse his pallet.  Then I put some ketchup on Bite #2 and rather doubtfully watched Sam to see what he would do next.  Both TJ and Nolan were completely enthralled.  Bill was pretending he didn't know us.

Sam put Bite #2 in his mouth.  His mother shuddered.  Sam chewed it carefully, while he laughed. 

The saddest part of this story?  Sam selected the pineapple with ketchup as his preferred bite.  So Bite #3 also had ketchup on it.

GROSS.  But--he did eat the fruit....

No comments: