Friday, July 6, 2012

Parental Control

I recall that when I was a 'tween' and in my early teens, the big controversy on television was MTV. Several of my friends' parents blocked that channel so it wasn't available to my friends or their older siblings. We didn't have cable until I was in high school, so i was fairly oblivious to the controversy.

These days, MTV seems almost tame. Everyone knows they primarily show reality TV. You're pretty hard-pressed to actually find a music video on that channel. What's the big controversy in the Baron Household? Cartoon Network. Yes, that's right. Cartoon Network. It sounds like such a kid-friendly channel. You wouldn't think there would be anything inappropriate on Cartoon Network, or if there was, that it would be on later at night. Well, you'd be wrong if you assumed that. There are a few shows we don't mind--Lego Ninjago is fine, and I'm fine with the 'classics', like Loony Toons. But TJ has stumbled across more than one show where the language is questionable, the plop lines make me uncomfortable, and there are multiple sexual innuendos. Yes, on cartoons. And we aren't talking about Beevis and Butthead, here. These cartoons seemed to be geared toward elementary-aged children!

Bill and I have repeatedly asked TJ NOT to turn those shows on. But TJ just couldn't control himself. And Sam and Nolan had seen a few of those episodes too. So we finally blocked the channel tonight. We are still DVRing Ninjago for TJ, but it's under the block. So, we have to enter in a passcode each and every time he wants to watch an episode. It will be a huge pain in the butt. But it will be worth it. If we don't start putting our foot down now,, it's just going to get worse.

No comments: