Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Learning to share

Last April, I got an iPad. I had asked Bill if I could get one, since the desktop was being monopolized more and more frequently by my children (TJ in particular). So, being the obliging guy he is, Bill let me get an iPad. I ordered a pink cover for it in hopes of keeping the boys away from it. I also put a passcode on it so that the boys couldn't use it without my knowledge and permission.

Well, that didn't last long. Bill punched the passcode in while TJ was looking. TJ's a smart kid. I told him as long as I never caught him using the iPad without permission, I couldn't change the passcode. Then the boys figured out how easy it was to remove the offending pink cover. THEN the boys discovered there were games on the iPad. In particular, Angry Birds. Nolan loves Angry Birds. He can spend hours playing it, if his mean old mother lets him. He starts every day with, "Mom, you NEVER let me play on your iPad. Not today, anyway. Can I play on your iPad?" So now, I have one or two kids playing with the iPad and another on the desktop. This leaves me with my phone if I need internet access. Sigh.

The other day, Nolan asked me if he could use the iPad. I informed him that I needed to use it for something and that he was going to have to wait. Nolan got very indignant, put his hands on his hips and said, "It's not just YOUR iPad, you know." WOAH there Buddy! I informed him that in fact, it IS just my iPad and I will share it when I choose to share it. I told Bill what Nolan had said, and Nolan got a similar lecture from his dad.

I certainly want my kids to learn to share. But they also need to respect the fact that some items are special and they aren't necessarily entitled to them. We had to save up for that thing. I'm not going to let my 3-year-old claim it for his own, just because he thinks his mother doesn't share enough.

Today, however, that 3-year-old was sick. Bad cough, fever, no appetite. He basically sat on the couch all day and did nothing. He didn't eat, run, laugh...poor little guy. Late this afternoon, I handed him my iPad. He gave me a weak smile and said, "When you are sick, you get to play with the iPad." I agreed.

But 20 minutes later, he called to me. I walked in the living room, he handed me the iPad. He said he didn't want it any more and closed his eyes. That's confirmation I have a sick little boy on my hands. I hope the Angry Birds enjoy their break.

No comments: