Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Nature got a little too close...

I love living out here. It's so quiet and peaceful. There is plenty of wildlife. Everyone knows to be really careful about deer...someone even hit and killed one on our little private drive last year (how fast were they going???) Anyway, tonight I got a little too much nature. I was washing up some dishes after supper and I noticed our stray cat was sitting on the front walk. In the rain. I was laughing to myself when I saw what looked like smoke coming around the front from the driveway. I leaned over to see if there was a car in our driveway and I saw a HUGE raccoon turning up my front walk (the 'smoke' was the thing breathing in the cool air). It was the size of a cocker spaniel. It was MUCH bigger than our little stray. She was not too happy about this raccoon hanging out on her turf. I was concerned because you don't typically see raccoons in broad daylight and this critter was not walking very fast. I was afraid it was sick. I called for Bill and he ran and shut the garage door. The cat always runs in when he does that, so he assumed she was safe. I wasn't convinced as I couldn't see where the raccoon had gone. I was concerned that it had wandered into the garage too.

Bill went outside and didn't see it, so I peeked in the garage. Yep! The cat was right by the door and she was not happy. The raccoon was under my van. TJ brought the cat in (he kept telling her that she was safe now) and Bill tried to scare the raccoon back out. The thing wouldn't budge. Bill finally climbed in the van and backed it out of the garage. (There is NO WAY I could have gotten in the van, knowing that nasty creature was only a foot away). His technique worked. The raccoon ran (well, walked slowly) over to the east side of the house and slowly ambled away. We all watched him from TJ and Sam's bedroom window. Bill and I used the opportunity to explain to the boys why raccoons are bad and why they should never, ever touch one. TJ was outside with the neighbor boys yesterday. What if it had been outside then? How many rabies shots would TJ have needed?

Double ick. I'm going to be on edge for the next couple weeks. I hope something tragic happens to that thing.

2 comments:

Mrs. Russ-a-lee said...

We currently have a possum hanging around that is waaaaaaay to friendly for my tastes. It is the size of a small dog as well and UGLY as sin!!!!!!!

Busy Baroness said...

I like nature, but in my opinion, raccoons and possums are just plain nasty!