Thursday, July 17, 2014

Can't sit still

The boys and I have been gone for eleven days. We all camped together for a week and then Bill headed home. The boys stayed at the campground with my parents for another four days and I worked in Grand Rapids this week. I made a couple trips back up to Cran-Hill this week, at TJ's request. He was worried about being homesick, but he did absolutely fine. 

I left work early today, drove back up to Big Rapids, picked up the boys and all their gear, then drove home. I was exhausted. I made four trips from Big Rapids to Grand Rapids over the past 11 days. I've been living out of an overnight bag. I had to make one emergency stop at Meijer for a pair of underwear because all of my clean pairs were in a different location than I was (thank you, clearance rack. That was only a $2 mistake!)

So...I was absolutely thrilled when we pulled in our driveway at 7:15 tonight. I am SO ready to sleep in my own bed (and be in the same location as ALL of my underwear!) Sam was thrilled as well. He immediately started wandering around the yard, checking on the progress Bill has made this week on the underground sprinkling. TJ was happy too. He immediately sought out Katie, gave her a thorough brushing, then weighed her (he weighs her a lot. No idea why. It's always the same number). 

Nolan was a different story. After we had been home for about a half hour, he said, "We need to go somewhere else. I don't want to just sit at home for the rest of the summer." We do have a few fun family events coming up this weekend with Bill's family, so I filled Nolan in on the details. Nolan nodded, then said, "What else? You've got to come up with other fun thing to do, or you need to line up some play dates with Will."

Or perhaps the child needs to learn to entertain himself! We do have more fun activities lined up this summer, and he will certainly have some play dates with his friends, but he also needs to learn to enjoy just being at home with his family. 

No comments: