Friday, April 19, 2013

Family Matters

On Sunday, the boys got a new cousin.  Bill's step-brother Ryan and his wife Jamie, had their first.  My boys were excited to hear about Carter and enjoyed looking at the pictures that Bill's dad and Ryan sent over.  He is a very cute baby.

TJ, however, can't remember his name.  He was watching me pack up a baby gift to ship to Carter in Oregon and he seemed to be lost in thought.  He finally said, "What's my new cousin's name?"  I said, "Carter Daniel."  TJ responded with, "Oh yeah.  With 18 cousins, it's really getting hard to remember everybody."  I smiled and nodded, but awhile later got to thinking.  And counting.  And counting again.  I was only coming up with 15 cousins.  I went to TJ and asked him where he came up with 18 cousins.  He said, "Well, that's what Dad told me."  Bill looked sheepish.  He apparently counted our own three children in that total.

After dinner, Bill told TJ that he was going to call his mother.  He asked TJ if he knew which grandmother was Bill's mom.  TJ nodded and said, "Grandma Ellen."  Then he commented, "You know, it does get confusing sometimes, because I have a bonus grandma.  I'm pretty lucky with that."  Yes, you are!

But he doesn't have it all figured out.  Bill was entertaining the boys with stories of his childhood the other day and he said something about Aunt Mandy.  TJ looked completely stumped.  He asked why in the world Aunt Mandy was at Dad's house.

Some day it will all make sense.  Some day, we all might agree on how many cousins, nieces, and nephews there are....

No comments: