Wednesday, March 13, 2013

TJ's English Lesson

TJ and Sam both have weekly spelling tests. I'm a stickler for words being spelled properly, so we take these tests seriously. The boys practice their spelling every night.

TJ has 20 words to learn each week, while Sam has 10. Some weeks are harder for TJ than others. Last night, Bill helped TJ with his list, then gave me an update. "The only word TJ has trouble with is 'obeyed'. The irony of that statement cracked me up. I laughed and after a minute, Bill started laughing too. My strong-willed, not-always-obedient child didn't find it as amusing.

Today, a new pope was chosen. We've been following this on the news, and TJ understands how unusual it is that Pope Benedict retired, rather than remaining pope until his death. But TJ completely understands. He says being Pope is a hard job, and he commented tonight that 'now that he's done 'poping', Pope Benedict will be praying for the new Pope Francis.'

I bet you didn't know that poping was a verb. I didn't, either!

No comments: