Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Innocence (Guilt) of Children

Last weekend, I was at an overnight scrapbooking event. I am always given some goodies at these events (candy, post-it notes, pencils, etc.) and when I returned home, I was unpacking said items. I set the pad of post-it notes on the counter and started to prepare dinner. Fatal mistake. I turned around a couple of minutes later when Nolan triumphantly said, "Look Mom! I made lots of pads of paper for you!" Yep. He had peeled apart the entire pad and stuck the sticky notes all over the floor. Thanks, Sweetie.

Also last weekend, I was standing at the end of the front hallway, talking with Bill as he sat in the living room. I glanced toward the fireplace and noticed that our family photo, which sits on the mantle, looked strange. A piece of the frame seemed to be missing. I walked closer and saw that yes, a small piece on the side of the frame was gone. Then, to my horror, I saw one of my Willow Tree Angels had lost her entire side. It was broken off and lying next to her. And there was a gouge in the wall from her metal wings. It looked as though she had been hit by something with such force that she broke while she damaged the wall.

I was still taking all of this in when Sam walked up behind me and said, "I didn't do it". Now, I had made no accusations. Obviously, I figured a child was responsible but I hadn't even had a chance to form a complete sentence. I was still standing there in dismay. Both Bill and I looked to Sam and Bill said, "What didn't you do?" Sam gave us a very detailed response about how he didn't throw a certain object across the room and accidentally hit the items on the mantel, causing the damage.

Clearly, we had our culprit. He was subjected to a discussion on owning up to your mistakes and being willing to apologize.

The Willow Tree angel has been repaired. Bill glued her for me, since I can't be trusted with super glue (I usually glue my fingers together).

No comments: