Friday, January 25, 2013

An illustration of my life

People ask me to explain to them what's wrong with me, and that's tough, because neurocardiogenic syncope (NCS) is so hard to understand. I came across a funny blog today that really helps explain it. Pardon the language.

Click Here to read the blog.

Dysautonomia is another name for neurocardiogenic syncope. And yes, those symptoms all sound familiar. I even have some bonus symptoms. Because my blood pressure is low, the blood pools in my legs and doesn't go to my head. This makes me lightheaded, but it's also giving me problems with varicose veins. I had one fixed the year after Sam was born and I'm getting another one fixed next month. Oh joy.

I have days where I feel almost normal and other days I can hardly get out of bed. My medication causes me to retain fluids. I have gained over 30 pounds in the past two years. I am so thankful I am married to a very patient person who never gives me a hard time for feeling ill and never makes me feel unattractive. He's a rock.

My sister deals with lupus on a daily basis and I know she feels worse than I do most days. She also has to put up with having a confusing illness that most people don't understand. But that doesn't mean it isn't real.

I am not complaining. NCS stinks, but I could have it so much worse. Some people with NCS faint multiple times a day and are unable to drive. But I am still a mostly-functioning, somewhat normal member of society. That's my story. And I'm stuck to it.

Consider yourself educated.

No comments: