Friday, December 21, 2012

Nolan's Nighttime Adventures

Before I can tell you of the latest Baron Saga, there are a few things you need to know:

1. Nolan has "Buddies".  When he was tiny, these were his burp cloths.  Now they are security blankets.  He typically only needs them when he sleeps.  The problem with this is if he takes them out of his bed, they get tossed aside shortly thereafter, and then we can't find them.

2. Nyquil (or the Meijer brand of nighttime cold medicine) works REALLY well on me.  The dosage of the capsules I buy is two at a time.  But I only take one capsule because it totally knocks me out.  I cannot wake up at all if I take the full dose.

3.  Bill was in Detroit when this happened.  He misses all of the fun stuff.

When I went to bed Wednesday night, I took one nighttime cold pill.  At 2:00, I heard a small voice.  "Mom." "Mom."  Nolan was standing by my bed, trying to rouse me from my drug-induced sleep.  I asked him what was wrong and he told me his Buddy was wet and could I please get him a dry one.  A small warning bell went off in my head.  I asked why it was wet and he told me he spilled his water bottle on it.  More warning bells.  Nolan isn't allowed water after dinner time because he soaks the bed.  My foggy mind was also wondering if there were any more clean Buddies to be found.  A few of them had gone missing in the past week.

I struggled out of bed and found my glasses.  As we headed to his room, I asked Nolan if he had spilled the water anywhere else.  He said, "Yeah.  On my pajamas and a little on my bed."

More warning bells.  I walked in his bedroom, flipped on the light and was horrified by what I saw.  It looked like he had poured several cups of water on his bed.  The sheets were soaked, the blanket was soaked, the mattress pad was soaked.  I stripped everything and started from scratch.  The whole time I was working, my mind was in a fog.  This was complicated by the fact that Nolan was chattering away non-stop.  Who has that kind of energy at 2 a.m.?

By the time I had clean, dry bedding on his bed, Nolan in clean pajamas and a dry Pull-up (because he was just about to soak through his current one), a new Buddy tucked into bed with him, and laundry piled up to be dealt with in the morning, it was 2:30 a.m.  It's like being up with the newborn, but without the precious baby to cuddle.

Nolan has strict instructions to never touch his water bottle in the middle of the night again.

No comments: