Saturday, May 5, 2012

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!

Bill and I try to be environmentally friendly.  We don't go overboard, but we recycle as much as we can.  We have a recycle bin that is the same size as our garbage can.  The garbage can is rarely more than half full, but the recycle bin is always overflowing.

We also try to be conscious about avoiding too much 'disposable' stuff.  For example, I always pack the boys' sandwiches in Tupperware containers.  And I bought this nifty fabric snack bags that take the place of Ziploc bags.  I can toss them in the wash every few weeks, and I rarely need to purchase Ziploc bags.  Although, the inside of TJ's chip bag seems to be permanently stained the color of Cool Ranch Doritos....

But there were a few things I couldn't recycle and wanted to.  So I was thrilled to discover Tree Huggers, a store on Wealthy Street in Grand Rapids, had found places to take some of the more difficult items to recycle.  In addition to batteries and egg cartons, they accept empty chip bags, empty Capri Sun pouches, and used Brita filters.  I started encouraging the boys to stick their empty drink pouches back in their lunch bags when they were done with them.  The boys have been raised well, and like to recycle too.  TJ has taken it even further.  He's started collecting trash from his classmate's lunches to recycle.  I have to laugh when I open his lunch bag at the end of the day and discover empty chip bags, etc. that are not his.  He wanted to rescue them from the trash can so I would recycle them.  Bill said TJ is going to get a reputation at school as being 'the kid who takes everyone's trash home'.  I hope no one teases him.  I'm proud of him!  And since I often bring empty coffee canisters, empty creamer bottles, and empty boxes home from work to recycle, I'm certainly not going to ask him to stop!  We'll just get another recycle bin if we need to!

No comments: