Saturday, October 22, 2011

Inappropriate content

Very early Thursday morning (around 2:45 a.m.), TJ got me up. I could tell something was wrong, because he didn't sound whiny or sleepy, he sounded anxious and a little frantic. He told me his tummy felt funny. I asked him if he was going to throw up and he said "Maybe!" and ran into my bathroom. He sat on the floor and started shaking. I was pretty sure he was going to vomit, so I stayed in bed. I could see him from where I was, and honestly, I didn't want to get any closer! Within a minute, Nolan stumbled in the room. He was very sleepy and confused and just wanted me to put him back in bed. I got up and was tucking him back in bed when I heard TJ vomit. My children very rarely throw up, but TJ has always been quite tidy about it. There was no mess to clean up. All I had to do was flush the toilet for him, set him up on the cot, hand him a bucket, and crawl back in bed.

The next morning, I decided I'd better keep him home from school. He was acting like TJ again, but I felt it was too soon to give him any food, and I didn't want him to vomit at school. So, I told Bill I would work from home and keep an eye on TJ.

TJ never did get sick again, so I guess something he ate had upset his stomach. He was pretty good about letting me get some work done and only occasionally needed something from me. He entertained himself by watching TV shows on Netflix and watching cat videos on YouTube (using our tiny netbook computer, since I was using the desk top).

At one point, TJ wanted to watch "Titanic" with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. He knows we own it (on VHS) and he has never seen it. I told him no, because of the inappropriate scenes in it. TJ was disappointed, but asked if I could find him a movie on the Hindenburg instead. I did a search on Netflix (I love that feature!) and found a movie called "Hindenburg" from the mid-1970s. It had George C. Scott in it. The movie was rated PG. I read the info on it and finally said, "I guess you can watch this TJ. I just hope there is no inappropriate content in it."

TJ replied confidently, "Oh, it's okay, Mom. I don't even think there was a toilet on The Hindenburg, so there won't be anything bad in the movie."

I laughed at his logic. He watched the movie and then came and told me it was done. He said there were a few scary parts. I asked if he watched those and he said, "Nope. I sat behind the chair until they were done."

No comments: