Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Obsessed

Sam's obsession with sprinklers has stayed with us this year. I thought maybe it wouldn't be as bad as previous summers, but as soon as he saw the neighbors turning their sprinklers on for the summer, that was all he wanted to talk about. Now that our big yard projects are done, ours are running too.

Sam isn't naughty with the sprinklers. He primarily just stands there and watches them. Every once in awhile, he will adjust our sprinkler heads. If Bill has broken or excess sprinkler parts, he will hand them over to Sam, who likes to bury them and 'make new sprinklers'.

Tuesday night, Sam ate quickly and asked to go back outside. He said Ashley's sprinklers were on, and he wanted to go watch. Ashley lives right across the street, so I figured he'd stand out by our mailbox to watch. I was right...at first. Sam was so mesmerized with watching the sprinklers that he wasn't paying attention to what he was doing. I glanced up from washing up the dishes and was dismayed to see he had moved from beside the mailbox into the middle of the road. I don't even think he was aware he had done it. Now, we live on a very quiet street, and I highly doubt any of my neighbors would run my son down, but that doesn't mean I want him standing in the middle of the road. Bill happened to be heading outside when I saw this, so I asked him to get Sam out of the road. Bill was able to quickly accomplish this by turning on our sprinklers. Sam immediately migrated back into our yard to keep an eye on them.

Sam's birthday is next month, and I'm already agonizing over what to give him. He so rarely plays with toys! I wish someone sold a make-it-yourself sprinkler system for kids. He'd be in heaven!

No comments: